Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sweet & Salty

Back around Easter time, I got to sample a few of the most delicious chocolates I've ever tasted, made by a local candy shop in North Jersey. What made them special was the fact that they were made of simple ingredients--like a large macadamia nut covered in a thin layer of caramel, a cluster of fresh shredded coconut, or a chewy dried apricot--all covered with a layer of high quality milk chocolate. In other words, a far cry from the overly sweet nougats and cremes that are found in your average box of chocolates. They were so good that I was inspired to raid my own pantry to see if I could recreate something similar.


Since I had some dried apricots on hand, I dipped them into melted semisweet chocolate.


I also used some chopped pistachios to make slightly salty chocolate covered nut clusters.


I'll admit that the end results were nowhere near as delicious as the professionally made versions, but they still hit the spot as a simply and satisfying treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails